[Diabetes-talk] TALKING insulin pumps

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 8 03:51:06 UTC 2009

Dave:

In saying that text-to-speech is so cheap, you're ignoring the
programming cost to implement it. This includes not only the direct
programming cost but the cost of changing interface designs to work with
speech. Most people don't realize it but an awful lot of thought has
gone into screen-readers -- all of them -- to ensure that the
information on the screen is presented in a way that is intelligible
with speech.

One of the problems with many pumps is that a great deal of the
information on many of them is presented graphically. I'm not saying it
has to be this way but we're talking about what is, not what ought to
be. And companies are loath to rework their entire designs to
accommodate a small minority -- that is, us.

I'm not saying it can't be done nor am I saying that it wouldn't be the
right thing to do morally. What I am saying is that the marketplace
truly drives this stuff -- that and the fact that very often, we, the
blind, don't know exactly what information we want and how it should be
presented.

So while I share your indignation, it ain't as simple as one might
reckon!

Er, um, injections are a lot simpler!

Mike Freeman