[Diabetes-talk] QUESTION

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 18 02:44:32 UTC 2009

Hi Di and all,
I totally agree. Every diabetic I Have ever known feels low at a different
reading. Since the lower end of the normal blood sugar reading is at or near
80 mg/dl, anything beneath that reading could definitely be considered a low
reading. The important thing is to know your body and at what reading you
should begin to treat a low. Mike already gave the 15/15 rule and that is a
good one to follow provided that 15 grams of carbs brings you out of the
low. Personally, 15 grams doesn't always bring me out of a low reading.
Sometimes, I have to eat more right away because the low is either just way
too low, or, my body won't respond to only 15 carbs. There's another rule of
thumb and the exact way it was told me sort of escapes me now. But it has to
do with how much 15 grams of carbs brings up your blood sugar. With some
people, I think it can be 50 points. With others, like me, it may only be
25. Again, it all depends on your body. In the end, it is always best to
work with your doctor, as someone has already pointed out, to develop a
strategy that works for you.

On another note, Di, are you still creating and selling the DAN pins that
you mentioned on this list some time ago? If so, can you tell me the cost
and how many I would have to purchase, if that is applicable, before you
will ship. We have a number of diabetics in our local NFB chapter and I
would like to discuss purchasing them for those who might be interested.

Thanks in advance,
Dave