[Diabetes-talk] What did you do?

K C kcc86 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:19:46 UTC 2009

Hi, Joyce.  Actually I am fairly new at the whole Diabetic game.  I to took
steroids back in late June for an Asthma episode.  I had my very first
experience with high blood sugar.  At my highest the Prodigy said 285, and I
was pretty slurred of speech, and yelling about wanting cake, and cookies.
:)

Are there any other alternatives for Asthmatics in crisis, or others who
have to take Steroids?  Seems to me like ending the Asthma attack, at least
in my case , could have then put me in danger from high sugars, which
doesn't seem like a fair trade off in my book.  Has anyone done any research
on this subject?  For type twos who wouldn't normally be on Insulin how
should such situations be handled?

I didn't have Diabetes when I last took Prednisone, and that was well over a
year ago.  Still, I do have Asthma, and such an even could very well happen
again.  If you, or anyone else understands my experience I'd love to hear
from you.  The Emergency room staff were more concerned with breaking up the
Asthma attack, and I understand that.  There just has to be some middle of
the road to get you through taking the Steroids.  Any advice would be
helpful.
Take care of you,

K C