[Diabetes-talk] forgetting insulin

Sally Maguire 1.sally at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 19:19:17 UTC 2009

I cannot remember when I have taken insulin.  Sometimes when I write it down, it makes it worse.  Doing something, like putting it on the computer, makes me think I have done with it and then don't take the insulin after I have written it down.  I have tried it so many before and after.  This is how I found the islet transplants are working already.  I forgot my lunch novolog insulin and 3 hours later, my blood sugar was 120.  The docs have told me they want me to continue insulin for 3 weeks after transplant, so I have another week to go.   The islets should prevent blood sugar from getting too low also.  About .5 unit before a meal is what I am going to try.
Even now, I'm still having trouble remembering if I took the insulin or just thought about it and wrote it down.  Part of the problem is that I take insulin after I eat, rather than before.

Sally