[Diabetes-talk] insulin pens keep getting stuck

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Sun Dec 6 20:23:24 UTC 2009

Hi miriam:

While I use a Novolog pen and not a Humalog variety, I have from time to
time encountered what you are describing where I cannot push the plunger
down and it is a real struggle.  While I would never take a pen apart, I
have stopped taking an injection when this happens.  What I have noticed in
the very few times of encountering this problem, is a small defect in the
needle cap, not the pen itself.  I have noticed on the problem injections
that the needle that inserts into the pen is a fraction short and I can only
guestimate that it is not connection with the source of insulin in the pen.
Once I change the needle and make sure on the next one I use that the
"sticker" part that goes into the pen is long enough to come right to the
end of the cap so I can feel it with my finger without having to put my
finger up into the inside of the cap, the problem usually clears right up.
Again, it is a rare occurance, but every now and then I think there are a
few defective needle caps.

HTH.

Eileen