[Diabetes-talk] does insulin cause depression

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:39:31 UTC 2009

I get e-mail from Dlife which is a tv show that is on cable channel here in NY and not sure what channel it is where you are but here is the answer about depression and insulin.

There is literature that states that up to 50% of diabetics do suffer from depression. Of course there may be many causes:

a.. coping with a chronic disease
a.. having fluctuating out of control glucose levels
a.. feeling different, or fearful
This is why healthy coping and support is such an significant part of lifestyle behaviors for good self management. I have not seen literature about depression being the direct cause of depression. Perhaps the behaviors around insulin such as being on a schedule, daily non-flexible routines, the cost, possible side effects of hypoglycemia may be contributing factors. But the actual hormone itself since it is naturally in our body does not cause depression

Happy Healthy Holiday from

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Contractor
www.Echevarriatravel.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.com/>