[Diabetes-talk] What can we do?

Elizabeth Lunt boo.lunt at verizon.net
Mon Feb 9 22:49:18 UTC 2009

Hello All,
I feel I must finally write in here. The cost of the Voice of the Diabetic
has not "skyrocketed" and I'm not sure where this information is coming
from. Even with the much-improved design and full color, the costs were
controlled, and money was coming in from ads and sponsorships. However, it
simply costs a lot to print and ship so many copies -- our circulation for
Voice of the Diabetic is over 300 thousand copies per quarter. It was very
popular among readers and diabetes educators and demand was high. Gathering
the information, selling advertisements and getting education grants, and
writing and editing the publication accounted for staff members' time, as
well as other diabetes advocacy activities such as pushing for accessible
diabetes technology. Dr. Maurer has made a decision to cut the entire
Diabetes Initiatives project, which included publishing Voice of the
Diabetic. He has said that some diabetes activities will be folded into the
duties of existing staff at the NFB, but the rest of us have been let go. We
did the best we could to present up-to-date, helpful and inspiring
information about both diabetes and coping with diabetes with limited or no
vision. There will not be another issue of the magazine, because Dr. Maurer
made his decision after the Winter issue went out, and he is folding the
project now, before another would have gone out in the spring.
Thank you for your support over the years. I have enjoyed working on this
publication. I hope you will get the full story, or try to, before
continuing this conversation with NFB leadership.
All the best,
Elizabeth Lunt
Editor, Voice of the Diabetic