[Diabetes-talk] U 3 drive

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 10 04:09:20 UTC 2009

Hello Dar,
I'm not sure this is the best way to keep your medical records. Suppose that
you have to call 911 for one reason or another. It is highly unlikely that
the paramedics that come to our house to administer any medical aid will be
able to access the thumb drive. Furthermore, if you should need to be taken
to the hospital via an ambulance, it is also highly unlikely that the
ambulance attendants will have the technology that is required to access the
thumb drive.

Recently, I had to be taken to the hospital due to severe dehydration, a
blood sugar reading that was off the scale and a critically high potassium
level. It was all due to my having both an upper respiratory infection and
then the flu. I had not been eating and drinking like I normally would and
that led me down the dangerous path of becoming dehydrated. I'm still not
quite sure why my blood sugar shot so high as my readings were normal during
the days before this all happened.

As it turned out, I had diabetic keto-acidosis and that along with
everything else caused me to be in the critical care unit of our local
hospital. Due to all of this stuff going  on, my heart was not beating
normally, in large part due to the high potassium level, my blood pressure
had gotten dangerously low (due to the dehydration  among other things), and
I felt as worse as I have ever have in my life. I have never had diabetic
keto acidosis in 34 years of being a diabetic, so, did not know what to
expect.

Anyway, during the entire time the paramedics were at our house, they did
not have the ability of taking down any of the medications I take on a
regular basis using any other means than old fashioned pen and paper. I even
found that I had to repeat everything again when I arrived in the emergency
room even though I could barely talk due to being so dehydrated. It would
have been cool if they had the technology to take a thumb drive, plug it
into a computer and just take the info right off of it. But in reality,,
they did not. So I think that until we reach such a time where this is the
norm, you might as well as stick to the old fashioned way of using pen and
paper, or in our case, printer and paper,  and keeping your medical info on
the fridge where it can be accessed quickly.

JMHO,

Dave