[Diabetes-talk] What can we do?

Ann Williams clevelandann at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 16 23:02:48 UTC 2009

A while ago, Eileen Scrivani wrote:

"I understand that people who are blind are on limited incomes and may
not be able to afford to pay for a subscription to the Voice, but what
about Doctor's, hospital's & other medical professionals? Certainly,
they can afford to pay a subscription fee."  There sere several
follow-up posts affirming that several people on this list thought this
was a good idea.

 From my perspective as a health professional, I don't think this is a
workable way to raise money for The Voice of the Diabetic.  Let me
explain why.  The copies that go to hospitals and doctors' offices are
not used for their own reading.  They are for the professionals to give
to their patients.  This is the norm in diabetes patient publications.
All the diabetes publications intended for patients make free copies
available for professionals to give away, either by sending copies to
them, or, increasingly, by sending a card good for a free copy for
professionals to give away.  So professionals are unlikely to pay for
subscriptions to give to their patients.

It's true that many professionals could benefit from reading the Voice
to learn how their patients actually do the things they recommend.  When
I teach other professionals, I often recommend that they read patient
publications for exactly that reason.

However, in the day of a busy diabetes educator or physician, reading
time is at a premium, and lots of professionals find it hard to find
time for even the reading of professional journals that is necessary to
keep up in one's field.  Reading a patient publication ends up low on
many professional priority lists.  So even though they can afford a
subscription for themselves, they would probably not pay for something
they are not even sure to have time to read.

I do hope that there is a way the Voice can survive somehow, but I think
that paid subscriptions for professionals is not going to be it.

Ann Williams, PhD, RN, CDE