[Diabetes-talk] Returning member with questions.

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Tue Feb 24 16:01:06 UTC 2009

Hi Alan:

Once, during a session with my diabetic educator, she said I could stick
anywhere along the fingers, not just on the fingertip.  I suppose that could
be considered alternate site testing.  Anyway, I've tried it, but it too can
be difficult to determine just where the puncture was done. Still, a little
more manageable than other locations.  I have one thought, and although its
one more pain in the but step to take, what about keeping a roll of tape
near by, and before you actually stick yourself, put a small piece of tape
near to where you want to stick.  Then, make the puncture just next to the
tape.   Maybe this will give you a tactile indication of where abouts the
drop of blood should be on your finger.

My husband, although not a diabetic once wanted to try a glucose test.  He
has extremely work toughened hands/fingers.  I could not get a drop of blood
out of him.  Could it be rough skin?  Have you tried putting moisturizer on
your hands on a regular basis to keep the skin softer and easier to work
with for testing?  Just thinking out loud.

HTH.

Eileen