[Diabetes-talk] question

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 03:16:20 UTC 2009

I am sorry if I did not articulate what I meant correctly, but I did not mean that you can do whatever you like with the pump.  Perhaps other pumps operate differently, but I have certain basil patterns set throughout the day which reflect how much or how little insulin I need at that time.  Then I have my bolus insulin which is what I take when I eat which is where the sliding scale comes in which means I take so much insulin dependent on how many carbs I eat.  So If I eat 3 carb choices during a meal I take half a unit of insulin per carb choice.  This allows for a little breathing room with carbs because I take what insulin I need based on how many carbs I eat.  The pump can be regulated and tailored to the individual to best suit them.  And of course my body changes from time to time and the basil along with bolus can be changed to adhere to whatever changes happen with my sugars.

Also, I recently have been using the Glucerna products and they have helped with droping after a workout.  I can also adjust my pump rates to a temp decrease during physical activity.

I am a firm believer that as diabetics we need to be as active as our health and body allow.  Once a workout routine becomes regular the body begins to accept it, if you will, and it over all helps with management.

Cheers to good feedback.