[Diabetes-talk] questions from a fairly new list subscriber

Chanelle Hill chanellemh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:03:53 UTC 2009

Dear Mike,
Thanks for replying to my message. I will check out the Braille Monitor. I
subscribed to Voice of the Diabetic about a month ago and haven't received
an issue yet. I opted to receive the publication via email.
The CD I received from Blind Inc., seems to be a few years old since some of
the articles date back to 2004, 2001, and those reprinted from the 90's.
I would like to get connected with diabetes educators who have had
experience working with the blind.
That would be great if Prodigy made a talking pump!
Minimed pumps have software that allows one to make changes to basal rates,
the increment for easy bolis, time and date, and other items that are set
through the pump menus. It would be nice if one could also use the software
to program a bolis that would be delivered as soon as the pump was
disconnected from the computer. For example, I think that the pump has bolis
wizzard--a feature to calculate insulin needed for carbs eaten and high
blood sugars. These calculations can easily be made manually, but I think
the pump also keeps track of active insulin.
I will figure out who I could speak to at Minimed about this or pump
accessibility. I appreciate your efforts to advocate accessibility with the
insulin pump companies.

Chanelle