[Diabetes-talk] information results

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Mar 6 21:47:34 UTC 2009

Dar:

If I recall correctly, your doctor's office must make some accommodation available to you to get your results other than print. This could be as simple as calling you with the results or as elaborate as having the results in braille or on the Internet or in some form of audio. While your preference in format must be taken into account, the Department of Justice does not require absolutely that the entity honor your choice.

It would be interesting to see whether D.O.J. would consider your doctor visit such an accommodation. I could see it going either way. However, I suspect that you'd win were you to contend that doctor's visits weren't (or should not be considered as) an accccommodation.

That said, I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with using a reader to get one's results. I wouldn't hire a reader I could not trust. But it must be admitted that I don't care who knows my results; I never quite followed why people were so all-fired sensitive about their results. In fact, I read of a diabetes website where people actually post their own results as an incentive to improve. (grin) I wouldn't go quite that far.

But I do worry that as we use other means to access print, we will grow to consider use of a reader as an inferior method when, in actuality, it is one of the best.

Just my opinion.

Mike