[Diabetes-talk] Appreciation

Amy Krout-Horn krouthorn at verizon.net
Sat May 9 18:50:45 UTC 2009

Thank you to everyone for your guidance. Home Care Supply of America is the supplier who plans to send the Clevercheck. The order will ship on the 12th, so I'll simply call Monday and politely tell them to keep it. Hopefully, this won't create some kind of Medicare billing headache, but if so, I believe it will be worth it. After using the Prodigy Voice, I've become spoiled and don't want to revert back to a meter that requires sighted assistance. It annoys me enough that I require some help with my insulin pump; I'd hate to have to have another piece of semi-accessible diabetic technology that would cause me frustration.
Insulin pumping has been a huge life-changer. In 2007, right before I started, my A1C was 8.3, now, it's 6.5. Whereas, the results have been marvelous and I feel healthier than I can ever remember feeling prior til now, there was a very difficult transitional period at the start because I had to relinquish some control when it came to my diabetes management. Before, I handled all my insulin dosing, my husband had never, in seven years, even touched an insulin syringe. But the pump required that he "look" at some of the visual displays, and because I can't insert the type of infusion set I have to use into certain areas without assistance, he had to step up and help. He didn't mind and has been really wonderful, but it was psychologically challenging for me, because my motto has always been, "Hand over that needle. I'll do it myself."
I've since learned that some of my sighted friends who use the Silhouette infusion sets need assistance inserting them, too, so I'm feeling a bit better. Long story a bit longer,I intend to make whatever changes necessary, in order to continue using the Prodigy. Hopefully, that mythical talking pump , we've all been wishing for, will make an appearance, soon.