[Diabetes-talk] cholesterol levels

Amy Krout-Horn krouthorn at verizon.net
Wed May 20 02:47:02 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone:
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question: Is it possible for your lipids to be too low? Would there be any symptoms associated with it? The reason that I ask is because, a year and a half ago, I began eating certain foods that have been linked to lowering the bad cholesterol. Soon after, my doctor lowered my doseage on the medication I've taken for fifteen years, due to the fact that the numbers showed a major drop in the HDL. I know that it's important not to have a deficiency in your LDL, but is it possible to be too low when it comes to the HDL? Since there doesn't seem to be any noticeable symptoms when one's cholesterol is too high, I'm guessing that one can't tell without blood work, whether or not your lipids are too low. Does anyone have any experience with this? I realize it's a bit strange to ask, since most people, including myself for many years, fight to keep their HDL below 200, but I'm curious.
Amy