[Diabetes-talk] FDA Warning Re BG Meters Using GDH-PQQ Strip Technology

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Sep 4 01:56:15 UTC 2009

Dar:

Perhaps the page didn't read well with the Voice Sense; I read it with a PC and there may have been some javascript. Suffice it to say that since you use a Prodigy Voice, you don't have to worry. The warning doesn't affect you.

However (and I mean no criticism by what I will say next), I suspect you fogged out as soon as you heard a chemical name. It is my opinion (and I emphasize, it's just my opinion) that no one can afford to fog out when encountering these warnings. This one didn't affect you; however, it does affect Joy Stigile. The next warning *could* affect you and by tuning it out, you might miss it.

Diabetes is one of those diseases where the patient has far more responsibility for his/her care than is the case with other diseases. I believe that one cannot afford simply to go along without being informed. I'm not saying not to trust doctors. However, they may not be aware of the latest diabetes wrinkles. So it pays to stay informed.

In this case, as I summarized at the beginning of my post, some test strips use a technology that is affected by some sugars other than glucose. They could give readings that are higher than is actually the case and is someone were to rely upon them to set an insulin dose, he/she could overdose, thus precipitating a case of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

But you don't have to worry.

I still intend to relay warnings such as this if I see them. I did not feel at liberty to reformat the text, however, as I believe it to be copyrighted.

Now I'll put on my bullet-proof vest. (grin)

Mike