[Diabetes-talk] Guidance on talking glucose monitor

Vincent Chaney vgc732 at optonline.net
Thu Apr 1 03:00:14 UTC 2010

Patty,

Welcome to the Diabetes-Talk list. We each have opinions on design for the
accessible talking blood glucose meters for the blind. Many of us on this
list have had some degree of problems working with meters over the last 25
years or so. Today's 2 meters both speak the results and will give you a
readout of the memory. Many of those meters on TV that say they talk may say
the reading once but you will not get any other part of the functions to
talk at all. They are not accessible for us as visually impaired and blind
unless you do have a stronger degree of vision remaining .
The biggest item I have been really liking for the Solo V2 meter is its
ability to determine if you do not have an adequate blood sample. For us on
the list who have been having our HGBA1C readings climbing, the fact of
knowing the blood sample was proper is an invaluable asset. I had been
double testing myself for a while to ensure I had gotten an accurate reading
prior to switching to the Solo V2.

Vinny
Vincent Chaney Jr
NFB Diabetes Action Network (DAN) Board
NFBNJ Diabetes Division President
NJAGDU Division President
NFBNJ Technology Division Vice President
NFBNJ.ORG Webmaster