[Diabetes-talk] Guidance on talking glucose monitor

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 3 05:55:41 UTC 2010

Eileen:

Perhaps a simple meter might be no problem for everyone to implement. But as
is often the case, things aren't quite that simple. I have received
communications from a deaf-blind person who has differing requirements,
i.e., he wants *less* spoken although he doesn't want to eliminate the
ability to set date/time, review past readings, etc.

And when we get into meters connected to pumps, we need to begin to deal
with how to convey things like trending; we, the blind, haven't figured out
a presentation mechanism for such things yet.

I realize I'm going against the grain here but I think having everything
have speech access designed by the manufacturer built-in is a recipe for
mediocrity of access at best. I am *not* a believer in universal design; in
trying to accommodate everyone, devices so designed end by not perfectly
accommodating anyone. It just isn't in the cards to have speech in
everything, much as it might be desirable theoretically.

Mike