[Diabetes-talk] talking insulin pump remote: Pump Mate

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 02:32:32 UTC 2010

Chanelle:

I am in contact with Access Solutions concerning this pump remote but didn't think this was ready for prime time yet. I have informed NFB President Dr. Marc Maurer of this possibility.

I am virtually certain that I will get flamed for what I shall say next and I mean no disrespect to you in saying it. But in my opinion, we can write to Medtronics MiniMed till we're blue in the face and absolutely nothing will come of it. Why? Because there aren't enough of us to make it worthwhile for the company to make the investment to manufacture the pump remote and secure FDA 510(k) cergification for it which would mean that the company would have to certify the remote's accuracy and would take on the risk of liability for flaws.

However, this is not the end of the road. I have spoken with John Pare, Director of NFB Strategic Initiatives and he believes that diabetes equipment including BG meters and insulin pumps would be covered (the Technology Bill of Rights for the Blind, HR-4533, introduced into Congress this year. So we need to work like mad to get our representatives to sign on to this legislation as cosponsors.

Mike Freeman, President
Diabetes Action Network
National Federation of the Blind