[Diabetes-talk] Debbie

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Apr 11 18:59:11 UTC 2010

Debbie

Diabetes does suck big time.  I would love to have a cure come aroun  in my
life time, but the damage is done to this body and I don't see how a cure
would help me much.  I would love not to have  to test blood sugars,  take
insulin, consider what foods I am putting in my mouth and do all that
calculations to figure out how much insulin I should take at this moment.

Imagine no more AC1 discussions and insulin reactions or peeing with the
being thirsty stuff.

I think all of us want to support each other, but not all of us can brag
about how well our diabetes is under control.   A good AC1 is  fantastic for
those who can achieve them all of the time, but we need to be  there to
listen and help those who struggle on that part.

Insulin reactions are something we all hate and some of us panic and some
of us just want that feeling to go away as fast as it ccan.  How many of
you stick stuff in your mouth until you feel better?  You know drink thatO  J
and then stuff crackers or cookies in your mouth.  How about eating the
candy [your favorite ones before you got diabetes].  I know you buy those
little ones that are like 2 or 3 bites, but how many do you shove in your mouth
until your senses return.

I love the spouses that help.  They find you unresponsive and then try  to
get you to drink the juicey juice and then shove the reeses peanut  butter
cups in your mouth.  After you come back to earth, they have  to tell you
how combative you were.  Makes you feel like shit,  How  many spouces ask you,
"Why didn't you take something before this  happened"?  Like we did it on
purpose.  If I ate something every time  I felt tired and sat down to rest, I
would have a large weight problem,  too.

I have been part of this list when it was first started up.  I listen  to
everyone.  We need to share our good reports and our frustrations with  this
disease.  We need to not criticise the frustrations, we need to let  this be
a sounding board for both sides.  No one has all the answers, but  we are
diabetics that live with this disease day and night.  The folks here  have
gone through the most with their diabetesheart disease, kidney failure and
transplant, loss of body parts and going blind.  We are the group who been
there, done that and folks facing this for the first time and seeking
information needs us to help them get through it.

We all need to be good listeners and tread lightly.  Remember we like  to
be asked if we need help and what type of help we need, instead of having
someone walk up to us and grab us to show us how to get where we want to  be.

Joyce