[Diabetes-talk] - NFB of New York State Scholarship information and application

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 18 14:14:48 UTC 2010

> If you are a student who is blind and lives in the State of NY, apply for
> our NFB of NY State Scholarship.
>
> It is given away every year to those deserving students, I myself am a
> former recipient of this honor.
>
> here is the information:
>  Carl Jacobsen, President
> P.O. Box 205666 Sunset Station
> Brooklyn, New York 11220
> 718-567-7821
> office at nfbny.org
>
> August 9, 2010
> Dear Scholarship Applicant,
>
> The National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc., proudly
> announces our 2010 Scholarship Program.  Scholarships will be presented at
> our State Convention banquet in Buffalo, New York, on October 23, 2010.
>
> Applicants must meet the following requirements:
>
> ·        You are a resident of New York State.
>
> ·        You are legally blind.
>
> ·        You are currently accepted in or enrolled in a degree program at
> the undergraduate, graduate, or postgraduate level.
>
> ·        You complete the enclosed application and essay of approximately
> 500 words (or apply on line at www.nfbny.org) which  must be received by
> the > Scholarship Committee on or before September 30, 2010.

Scholarship finalists are required to attend and participate in the
convention (at the Federation's expense). You will be notified prior to the
convention if you are a finalist.

NFB scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholastic excellence,
financial need, and community service.  In preparing your essay, keep in
mind that the committee members are all successful college graduates.

Consider how you can most effectively convey your best qualities.  Since the
awards are restricted to blind people, the committee will be interested in
the techniques and approaches you use in living as a blind person.

Almost all blind students have financial need.  Committee members will
assume basic need, so you may choose to refer to this topic only if your
need is unusual.

If you have any questions, please call me at (718) 491-0053.

> Sincerely,
> Raymond Wayne, Chairman
> NFB of NYS
> Scholarship Committee

Applications available on the nfbny.org website.