[Diabetes-talk] Fw: new law affects NJ students with diabetes

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 05:54:11 UTC 2010

This law walks a fine line as all laws do, but a diabetic of any age should be responsible for their management and care.

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 24 years and by the age of 6 I was testing my own blood and administering my own insulin.  My parents helped and often supervised, but I was being taught to care for my own health.

I understood what I needed to do such as calculating carbs, drawing insulin and testing my sugars on a regular basis.  To take this out of my hands would have left me in more trouble especially as an adult.

I remember times where I knew I had a low sugar, but I had to wait for a pass to the nurse to be written and then I had to travel to the nurses office, which could be a ways off depending on where I was in the building.  A diabetic should be allowed to test and treat sugars whenever and where ever.  As we all know, diabetes can be managed, but only when we are allowed to follow what we know is the best method.  Sounds like a similar arguement NFB!  *smile*

Bridgit