[Diabetes-talk] Question Re Expiration Dates On Diabetic Prescriptions.

eileen SCRIVANI etscrivani at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 21:43:45 UTC 2010

Hi Folks:

I have a question regarding the expiration dates on Prescriptions such as insulin pens and the test strips for BG monitoring.

I had a family member come over and confirm that my prescriptions were not out of date and found out something interesting.

First on my insulin pens, let's say the manufacturer had a do not use after date of November 2011.  The company from which I am forced to use for prescription mail-order states on there labels a do not use after date of a good year earlier -- say August or October of 2010.  Why is this and which one should I go by?  My gut is to go with the manufacturer's date and not the pharmacy which is out to make money more quickly.  Same goes for my test strips, except the difference is not as great as a full year.

One other question regarding the dates.  If the manufacturer gives a good until date say of February 2010 then does that mean I can still use the product in February or after the end of January 2010 it should not be used?

Hoping for a definitive answer on this one and not guess-work.  Thanks.

Eileen