[Diabetes-talk] 3 Key Words: Diabetes - Action - Network

Everett Gavel everettgavel at att.net
Sat Jul 24 20:57:03 UTC 2010

Hi Mike, and All,

Congratulations to all within the Diabetes Action
Netowrk who were both newly elected and re-elected at
this summer's annual NFB convention.  Dallas was great.
Anyone here go on that tandem cycling ride?  I did and
recommend getting in early next year if the Sports &
Rec division has one in Orlando.  ;-)

I look forward to a productive year of change!  Among
the blind and throughout the Diabetes community.
"Changing what it means to be a blind diabetic," isn't
that it?  Something like that, anyway, right? ;-)

And yes, Wanda is from Ohio, and is the DAN President.
That's my affiliate.  Congratulations, Wanda.  Now
let's go and do great things -- both across Ohio and
across the nation!  ;-)

We are all part of an ACTION network, made up of 3 key
words, 3 meaningful words that help us to remember what
we are to do, and working to achieve.  Diabetes is our
focus.  Action is what we are all about.  And
networking is how we are to achieve success!  We are a
network of caring, helpful, informed individuals on the
intertwined subjects of diabetes and blindness.

I remember all too well the feeling of helplessness on
several levels that I felt, upon losing my sight.
Losing my sight due to Diabetic Retinopathy.  At the
time I knew nothing about blindness.  There are many,
many out there who are still fairly clueless thus far,
about their situation.  They've lost sight or will lose
their sight, due to diabetes.  Organizations do not
generally share information, seems to me.  'Privacy
issues' and blah blah blah.  So many people remain
clueless, until they hear something from a neighbor or
a friend.  We are the neighbors.  We can be the
friends.

We no longer have the Voice of the Diabetic being
published in print and distributed by the tens of
thousands -- and even hundreds of thousands -- around
the country, to help us help others.  That was a great
marketing tool, as well as of course being a great
educational tool.  But the Voice is no longer there to
help us market the organization.  We need to focus on
the "Network" part of our name.  We need to get out
more into our local communities and let our neighbors
know the Diabetes Action Network is out there for them.
Action!  Diabetes Action!  We ARE the Network.

So, what have any of us done in the past few months to
get the word out in our communities?  Anyone care to
share?  To help inspire the rest of us?  Even if you
haven't acted upon it, do you have a thought on things
you'd like to do or have someone do, to help?  Please,
share your ideas and inspiration.  We are the Diabetes
Action Network.  Let's get networking.  Let's take
action!  Go tell your doctor's office about the DAN.
Go tell the local American Diabetes Association
leaders.  Go tell your hospital Diabetes support group!
Go tell the folks at your town's Senior center.  Or
maybe even pay $10 once a month to put one ad, one day
per month, in your local newspaper classifieds section
talking about diabetes and blindness -- and remaining
independent.

And then, please, always share your thoughts and
actions and plans here with the rest of your Network,
so we can continue helping eachother to help others in
our communities.

The Diabetes Action Network.  The name of our
organization is great.  Let's continue making the
organization itself great, and useful, too!  I am
honored to be a part of this organization.  I've
enjoyed reading the messages over the years.  This list
itself is a great resource and a great part of the
Network.  I thank you for it.

Strive On--and May God Bless Our Efforts Mightily!

Everett
With the DAN of Ohio (but currently a student at the
LCB)
everett at everettgavel.com