[Diabetes-talk] solo meter

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Mar 27 23:03:52 UTC 2010

Actually, the blame for the old VoiceMate goes to AccuChek itself. It
isn't the NFB or any consumer organization's job to test for
accuracy. I did hear that the FDA was proposing tightening standards
for meter accuracy, but don't think it's happened yet.
My only concern is that when companies do make a medical device
accessible to us, that it be as current as possible with devices
available to sighted people with diabetes. I'm thrilled to see a new
meter come out because we should have choices. We all work better in
many different ways, don't we.
I also do think it's legitimate to ask certain questions of any meter
company. These days, there are really only a few variations in strip
technology. I don't know what makes a meter start the test as soon as
it detects the presence of blood versus waiting until there's enough
blood to perform an accurate test. But I sure know what seems to make
sense to my brain. <grin.> I also think that a diabetes list is a
great place to discuss things like the current tolerance for a huge
variety among BG meter results.
And until we get that perfect device, I too will try everything new
that comes out. For me, so far anyway, I keep going back to my
cobbled together system with my Free Style Lite meter and my old
Braille 'n Speak because it works and I trust it. Well, as much as I
trust any meter.
But you bet, there has been a lot of progress in diabetes treatment
and understanding over the years. When I think of what I can do with
my current insulin pump that I couldn't do with my first pump in
1991, it's staggering. So naturally, I want to speak up now in the
hope that any talking pump that comes out is more like my current
pump than the first one I used.
And by the way, I count myself among those who have not managed to
make use of alternate site testing. Not at all!
In the meantime, I look forward to reading all of the reports from
those of you trying out the Solo and any other device coming out.
I'll certainly share my experiences with all of you. When we share
information, we help each other. When we pound on the companies, we
encourage them to improve their products. Hopefully this will lead to
major advances down the road.

Veronica

Check out my new CD, "We Woof You A Merry Christmas," at
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407