[Diabetes-talk] SoloMeter Questions

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu May 13 02:20:33 UTC 2010

Dan:

The Solo meter is better than the Prodigy Voice at giving an error
indication if too little blood is sucked up by the strip. Whereas with the
Prodigy Voice, one must take a second reading to determine if what seems
like an anomalous reading is just that or whether one's blood sugar is as
low as the mneter indicates, the Solo V2 tends either to give a plausible
reading, give you an error message or flat-out tell you that you didn't get
enough blood on the strip. On the other hand, you'd have to take a second
reading most of the time anyway so while the Solo may cut down on
frustration a bit, the practical outcome is that most of the time, you'd
have to do the same thing (take a second reading) no matter which meter you
used.

The Solo has a much nicer case than does the Prodigy Voice -- the Solo case
is rigid and there's a place for lancets, lancet device, strips and meter
and even control solution.

On the other hand, the Solo has the drawback that it has no "Say Display"
key to repeat whatever is on the display. This means that in order to hear
the reading you've just taken, you must pull out the strip and go back into
Memory Mode to hear the reading. In addition, when reviewing readings in
memory (or hearing the reading that you've just taken after lancing your
finger), the time of the reading is not voiced even though it is on the
print display and even though the *date* of readings in memory is spoken. To
my mind, this is a serious, nay nearly fatal, drawback to the Solo in that I
keep a written log of my readings with date/time as well as value of
readings and don't always have a chance to write down the reading
immediately.

On the other hand, the Solo allows you to flag a reading as being either
before or after a meal or leave it unflagged and one can set an alarm to
tell you when next to test although in truth I can see little need for such
a feature.

According to two people whom I trust, the Solo software to download readings
to a computer is *not* accessible with either JAWS or Window Eyes, this
despite claims of some to the contrary. The Prodigy Voice software is also
not acccessible.

And the Prodigy Voice case pulls a hard vacuum; I use a different case with
it.

Bottom line: while there's mush about the Solo V2 to like, I'd still go with
the prodigy Voice in that there is a Say Display key and one hears the
date/time of every reading in memory. Wish the Prodigy Voice would say the
date/time as the reading was being taken, though (it does say it when it is
turned on).

HTH!

Mike Freeman, President
Diabetes Action Network