[Diabetes-talk] New Member

Dorothea Martin bestsinger at samobile.net
Mon Nov 8 09:17:52 UTC 2010

Hello, Mike,
You are right that the list members are neither doctors or CDEs. They
know all about the disease of diabetes and how to educate the public.
What the list members are, however, is even more valuable to me--you
are diabetics and blind people. That means you know much more about
living with diabetes as blind people than the sighted and non-diabetic
doctors and educators ever will.
As I mentioned, I was diagnosed in Albania and, this being a top-down
culture, was given almost no information. I realized I would have to
learn on my own, so I changed the word the doctor had said from: "You
are diabetic," to: "You are blind." Well, where would I go for help for
that? To the blind folks, of course, we know about this. I have been
reading books about diabetes written by diabetics and looking for this
list. It wasn't easy to find, but now I have found it, and am I
thankful! Keep the messages coming.
Dotty Martin