[Diabetes-talk] Fora V20 Talking Meter

Dorothea Martin bestsinger at samobile.net
Tue Nov 9 08:36:23 UTC 2010

Hello, Dar,
Don't feel bad about not knowing what to do for someone out of the
States. I talked with the Swiss office of Fora yesterday and the kind
gentleman told me he didn't know where Albania was. And he's in Europe!
I started contacting this company because I read on the American
Foundation for the Blind website that the Fora V20 is an accessible
meter. I talked with both a Fora representative in the States and the
one in Switzerland who directed my attention to newer meters which,
from reading their manuals, I found not to be accessible, as not all
functions speak. From the manual it looks as if the Fora V20 is,
indeed, an accessible meter, seems to be a copy of the Prodigy Voice.
The improvement over my older model of the Prodigy Voice with the Fora
V20 seems only to be that a test with too little blood, which gives a
message of less than 20 milligrams per deciliter, does not get averaged
in. I shall soon know if the newer model of the Prodigy Voice has this
improvement, as DDI is sending me an upgrade. I plan to talk to the
Fora people today to show them how they can know the difference between
a meter with speech and an accessible meter with speech. At leas they
won't be directing blind people to inaccessible meters. To be fair to
them, though, the manual for the D30, Fora's newest meter with both
blood glucose and blood pressure clearly says that though some of the
functions speak, the unit is not intended for use by the blind or
visually impaired.
Well, I'll keep you all posted on my research into accessible
glucometers. I'm thinking of doing a podcast on this. What do you all think?
Dotty Martin