[Diabetes-talk] solo meter

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Apr 6 05:01:46 UTC 2011

James:

Not arguing with you here but think we have to be pretty careful to define
exactly what we mean by "accurate".  Are we speaking of precision, i.e.,
closeness to some stated meter or lab standard?  Do we mean that given
repeated results with a given blood sample, results are within a certain
fraction of the whole?  Do we mean that the results vary less than a
specified absolute value?

The answers to these questions are relevant and important because not all
meters will pass all these tests.  And, in any case, the FDA allows what I
believe to be a near-criminal imprecision in meter accuracy for instruments
available to the general public.  Meters only have to be within ten or
twenty percent for a given measurement of a "labstandard" measurement which
can be defined.  IMO the diabetes industry could do a lot better than
thisexcept that no onehas heldits feet to the fire.

Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with whether the meters are
accessible or not; blind and sighteddiabetics alike have a stake in this.

As for the Solo, as I say, if its shortcomings are corrected, I'll probably
switch to it.  But not having the times of readings spoken and not having a
"say display" key are show-stoppers for me.  And I'd pay a kilobuck for a
lab-standard meter that talked.

Cheers!

Mike