[Diabetes-talk] Diabetes-talk Digest, Vol 45, Issue 7

Lynn Baillif lbaillif at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 10 22:04:49 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,
I did a little research to confirm this.  Raw sugar is what is left behind when the sugar is processed to remove the "white" sugar.  Therefore, it is considered more "natural".  Some believe there are more nutrients in "raw" sugar, but I have not found out what they are.

As for carbohydrate content, both white sugar and raw sugar havt 4 grams of carbohydrate per teaspoon.  So, whether you use white sugar or raw sugar in this cookie recipe, the end result will be the same in regards to how it will effect your blood sugar.

However, as far as taste goes, I think that raw sugar has a distinctive toasty or carmalized taste.  I like it in coffee.

Lynn