[Diabetes-talk] Testing/Strips?

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Apr 23 12:22:54 UTC 2011

No the Clever Check meter doesn't use any vacuum system to pull blood
down the strip.  I put the stylus tip into the part of the strip that is
supposed to take in the blood and move it just a little bit there to try
to open that part of the test strip up a little bit.  That may be
getting me enough of a target for the blood to hit and then go down the
strips.  One additional problem I got as a result of some brain damage
is a fine motor deficit.  A sighted diabetic told me probably the two
big problems blind diabetics have is we can't see the blood on our
finger so can't reliably position the strips to catch it.  If I hit a
spot that's more than normally sensitive with the lancet, and go all the
way with the reading try invariably it doesn't happen.  If the spot is
less sensitive then I usually don't have any trouble.  This makes sense
because the more sensitive spot will radiate pain further out away from
the puncture site than the less sensitive point and that makes the less
sensitive point easier to find with the test strip in time to catch that
blood and get a reading.