[Diabetes-talk] question

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 25 06:57:40 UTC 2011

I don't mean to be insensitive, and I know we all have our comfort
levels, but isn't it a spouses responsibility to learn diabetic
management along with their loved one?

My husband is blind too, and one of the first things he ever did when
meeting me, was to learn about my diabetes and how to help.

When I am sick, if necessary, he knows how to handle the situation--
testing, watching for symptoms, etc.

I have been type 1 for 25 years, and I have been totally blind for 8
years, and I have not found the transition difficult when it comes to
the management of my diabetes.  My husband, though nervous about the
condition in general, was not hesitant to learn what he could once
meeting me.

I take care of myself, and do what I need to on a daily basis, but in
those emergency cases, my husband has learned how to help and what is
needed for different circumstances.  He has even learned how to use and
inject glucogon in the event I drop to low and can not treat it by other
means.

I advise significant others to learn about diabetes management.  Parents
don't leave the care up to their kids without knowing all the right
info.  To me, it seems to make sense for significant others to have
knowledge on the subject.