[Diabetes-talk] suggestion for testing help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 25 21:15:24 UTC 2011

It can take some practice to learn how to test on others, but it can be
done, and be done efficiently.

Someone suggested the other person practice testing on themselves so
they have an idea of how it feels and the mechanics of it all.

Those who are not comfortable around blood and needles, well, that is
unfortunate.

No offense, but I still find it shocking and irresponsible for anyone--
a parent, significant other, friend-- to not learn, or refuse to learn,
how to help with their loved one who is diabetic.  I mean, what happens
if you are sick, or something happens?  Sure you can ring the
paramedics, but what if the situation requires immediate attention?  Or
if it would be absurd to ring, and pay, paramedics, like when you are
ill?  The responsible, mature, caring route seems to be to learn as much
a spossible to help.

I suppose I am being a complete insensitive witch (except with another
letter) but I have been through this, and I know for a fact that another
person, sighted or blind, can, and should, learn how to test the
diabetic in their life along with other things.  Maybe I'm crazy, most
likely.

Whatever the relationship, doesn't one sign on for better or for worse?
Even friendships should follow this thinking.  If you truly care about a
person, don't you want to do everything in your ability to help and be a
true partner?

Perhaps my life has been different, but those closest to me have always
been invested in all of me.  I am a very private person, and I tend to
hide certain things from people, like my diabetes, just because I hate
the questions and misinformation most people prescribe to, but my
husband and close friends force themselves into my life!  *smile*  My
husband can be quite annoying at times, actually.  Always asking what my
readings are for the day, waking me up in the middle of the night if I
am sweating, checking that I am not low, and he always wakes up with me
if I have a low during the night.  He has even changed a lot of his
eating habits like no sugar soda or massive amounts of candy at home
since I don't buy this stuff.

Anyway, my hubby is by no means perfect (God, don't I know it) but he
understands that his relationship with me is a interconnected thing.  It
has always made sense to me that close relationships would take on
similar responsibility along with a person who happens to be diabetic.

Of course, we have to be willing to give back to!  *smile*