[Diabetes-talk] Hello from a new member

Julie Kline julie.kline at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 23:58:02 UTC 2011

Good afternoon,

My name is Julie and like someone else on here, I too was recently diagnosed
with type 2 diabetes.  Well, I guess I can't say recently because it has
been almost two months now.  It was kind of a surprise actually though not
really if I think about it rationally.  I have it as part of my family
history.  My brother has shown some tendencies towards diabetes.  It runs
from my mom to her mother,  to my grandmother's mother, and who knows from
there.  It was always one of those things I knew would probably happen
someday, but now?  Anyway, I went to my doctor's office for another
unrelated issue and he was running a blood test for something else ... And
... Surprise!  So someday came and my diagnosis is here.

Anyway I just wanted to say to Steve that I can understand where things get
overwhelming when you're trying to figure out where to start.  My job isn't
very generous with our time off, so meetings to a diabetic educator have
been very rare because they work 8 to 5 like I do.  I know how it is when
you have a lot thrown at you in a short period of time.  God bless my
husband too, he has been incredibly patient through this whole thing.

I use the prodigy voice meter for testing.  For the most part I'm successful
with it, occasionally I run into sometimes where no matter what I do I set
that lancet to maximum sting and I still can't get blood out of a finger,
but for the most part it has told me quite a bit.  At least I know my levels
before and after starting medications that were prescribed for me, and that
knowledge really helped to make the diabetes diagnosis sink in and seem more
real.

In any case, I look forward to getting to meet people on here who do this
every day.  I don't mean to sound like a sponge, but I have quite a few
questions I'd like to ask and am interested in what ideas people have come
up with to make different food items that taste good, and I also wanted to
fined out websites that work with speech technology.

Take care and have a good evening.
Thanks.
Julie