[Diabetes-talk] Braille Reading Ability after diagnosis

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Jan 5 23:28:20 UTC 2011

I'm not sure but that every one of us has moments like that whether we are diabetic or not.  I know back in the 1970's, I was reading Jack Higins' "The Eagle Has Landed" in Braille and for some reason, my fingers became extremely sensitive and it was all I could do to keep reading because of the discomfort -- which was frustrating as it was one of those thrillers one couldn't put down.

But as for Julie's original question, although one should never say "never", if she keeps her diabetes well-controlled, it is unlikely she'll ever suffer neuropathy in her hands severe enough to interfere with Braille reading.  Actually, it has been the experience of folks at our training centers that far more diabetics can read Braille (and I mean regular-sized Braille) than conventional wisdom has it.

As for finger-sticks, each person's fingers are different so it's hard to generalize.  But it is my opinion that ideal statye is for fingers to toughen up a bit but not get calused, very much like the state a harpist strives for in his/her fingers.  Under these conditions, finger-sticks don't really interfere with Braille-reading.

that said, though, I generally don't poke my index fingers which I read Braille with although I'm not as fanatic about it as Bern; I didn't care what fingers hospital personnel poked as I was reading with a Victor Reader Stream in the hospital. (grin)

Mike