[Diabetes-talk] Responses to talking blood glucosemeters and breakfasts

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Sat Jan 8 21:39:04 UTC 2011

Very interesting, Mike. The reason I'm surprised about the CGMS bit
is that if we were to be able to talk to it, we'd have to carry four
things around, maybe three. The meter is a complete separate remote,
no meter built into the pump at all. So we'd have to carry the pump,
meter and talking remote. The CGMS does talk to the pump and next
time I'm with my pump group I'll ask them how they access the info,
whether or not it's just in a menu or what. And watching how people
work with them, I can actually see how we could have interpretation
of the data. What they see is a number, which we could certainly have
read. With the number there is an arrow which points either up or
down. It points more steeply if it's a sudden change and is flat if
the BG level is not changing. This could easily be represented by a
tone which goes up or down with a rapid up or down speed to indicate
a sudden change or a steady pitch if nothing is changing. The
information they get from the CGMS isn't really all that complex on
the screen. Of course, they can download the information and see the
whole pattern on their computers. But again, the accuracy does vary
here and the reading can often be about 15 minutes behind reality.
You set alarms to let you know if you're going below or above a
certain number. So we could certainly have something yelling at us if
the device thinks we're below 70, for instance. I know there are
currently two major brands running around, the MedTronix and DexCom.
Don't look at that spelling. <grin.> So far I've heard more good
things about the DexCom. Apparently it can be really hard to shut up
some of these alarms. At this point I think they're good for
discerning patterns but not really ready to replace regular meters.
And here's a change of point of view for me. It's beginning to look
like a specially trained dog will in fact detect a low blood sugar
reading sooner than a CGMS will. That did surprise me. And then,
should have known! Hahahahaha!
But I do hope the technology advances.
But in the end, what I really really hope is that we have a choice of
device, whatever it is. There are some pretty major differences
between the current brands of insulin pumps that matter a lot to me
and yes, some of those things may even over-ride accessibility for
me. We'll just have to see.

Veronica
We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407