[Diabetes-talk] pump ?

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Mar 3 04:12:03 UTC 2011

Mike and all, there are some differences in how the various pumps do
it, but basically here's what happens. Let's say you figure out that
your needs include a basal or background rate of .6 units of insulin
per hour. For all pumps except MedTronics, this amount would be
divided up in to 20 deliveries so you'd actually get just a tiny bit
of insulin every 3 minutes. How often you get a basal delivery from a
Medtronic pump depends on the size of the basal. The more insulin you
need in an hour, the more frequently you get it. None of us on my
other pump list have managed to come up with an easy explanation of a
way to figure out how their system actually works. Normally, your
body puts out insulin in response to any perceived need. So it's all
tangled up with messages from the pancreas, liver, brain and for all
I know, someone's grandmother. <grin.> And of course, when the normal
body tones insulin delivery down because you're exercising or
something, the response is much more immediate than any of us can do
artificially. Sort of the same thing for eating, although we're
getting closer there. But the response curve is still not as easy,
hence we still do have to watch the potential to go high or low. So I
still have to know enough to recognize that for instance, while I'm
in a stressful situation, or going through a change in hormones, I
have to instruct my pump as to how to respond to these changes. One
of those responses might be making changes in basal rates because my
body would do that if it could.
In fact, I'm about to go through basal testing again myself. Kind of
a drag but the pay-off is sure nice. You pick a time frame, say,
starting with overnight, make sure you don't eat and then test every
two hours to see if your basal rates are working properly. If you go
high, the test is off for that night and you start over the next
night. Then you skip breakfast and do the same for morning. Then
lunch. Like I said, it's a drag but once you get it, then you can
just concentrate on your food and other stuff.
As for those of you with type 2, I think you get a raw deal. I think
the main problem is that if they can toss you a couple of pills and
your control is basically okay, it's a lot cheaper for the insurance
company. Just as silly as MediCare not paying for continuous glucose
monitoring on the grounds that it's preventative. Duh! So it's okay
to cover all those emergency room visits for someone with hypo
unawareness but not the tool which could prevent them and save tons
of money. Sheesh!
Okay, off my soap box now. <grin.>

Veronica
We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407