[Diabetes-talk] wearing your pump

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Thu Mar 3 17:03:05 UTC 2011

Cheryl, your answer is not correct here. I never remove my pump
during exercise. If you have a regular schedule you can actually
build in a lower insulin amount into your basal pattern to account
for exercise. Some people who go diving or something really strenuous
will remove the pump and give an extra bolus to cover the couple of
hours. But more and more, when these newer tubeless pumps do appear,
you'll just go swimming without thinking about it. I have gone
swimming with mine quite a bit. Nowadays companies are more reluctant
to talk about wearing the pump in water than they used to be. But I
can't remember the last time I've stopped or suspended my pump. I
take it off only for a quick shower. It's part of my love life. It's
part of my exercise life. It's always there.
The only thing I've seen come up with some people during heavy
exercise is that for some types of cannulas, when people perspire a
lot, some tape doesn't stick as well. Many of the people in my pump
group here who use MedTronic pumps have extra sticky stuff they put
down to help tape stick during those times. I guess I've been lucky
or something but I've never had to mess with any extra stuff.
But when you start using an insulin pump, this is where the trainers
should come in handy. The idea is kind of like getting a guide dog or
something. The pump is supposed to help you do your life in a better
way, not become your life. It does require some effort during the
first month or two as you're figuring out all of your settings. But
boy is it worth it!
And I too am enjoying this discussion.

Veronica
We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407