[Diabetes-talk] Pump question

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Tue Oct 25 00:28:01 UTC 2011

I am currently using the Cozmo, same as Bridget. I started in 1991
with the Disetronic H-Tron, a very cool pump in its day.
For my infusion sets, I use the Cleo 90. I love them. They're the
easiest to insert and you can face the tubing any direction you want.
It comes in a plastic housing that feels like a cyllinder. You
unscrew the cap, hold the thing against you and press. You count to
five and just pull the plastic part off. The needle part retracts
back into the plastic so no worries after you're done. You just put
the cap back on and throw that part away. You're left with this very
small piece attached to you. It tapes itself down as part of the
process. Then you connect the tubing and at that point, you can
choose from eight different positions, depending on which way you
want the tubing to face. I use my abdomin most of the time. I have
tried my hips lately, but don't generally like the results. And I
only leave mine in for two days. I have some spots that don't work as
well, mostly because of the damage from the early years when they
didn't have such nice plastic cannulas.
Denise, did you experiment with straight-in versus angled insertion
sorts of cannulas. For me, I used angled ones for a long time and am
now trying straight ones because it seems like they might tear up
less tissue over the long-run. But that's just a theory. <grin.> My
basals are pretty steady during the day, about .4 units per hour.
They gradually go up during the night, working up to .8 during the
6:00 am hour. Then they go back down.
I never did the saline solution. When I started in 1991, I did spend
a couple of days in the hospital because nobody could believe that I
could do it. But I did have some good food sessions at the time. By
the time I got the Cozmo pump in 2005, I was wearing the pump before
the trainer ever showed up. Hey, the box arrived and no way was I
going to leave it alone! Actually, I sat down before the trainer came
and had my hubby read the manual to me. So I wrote out the menus in
my Braille Lite, figured out what things I could reliably get at by
counting the beeps as Bridget described and just couldn't resist
taking the next step. By the time the trainer got here, I had fun
showing her all the adaptations and such.
Every once in awhile I'll feel quite a sting when I insert the
cannula, but it doesn't last. Hope this helps.

Veronica

We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407