[Diabetes-talk] Starting Exercise classes

Julie Kline julie.kline at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 18:55:52 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been tossing around the idea of joining up with a gym and doing
exercise classes, eventually working up to a few days a week.  I haven't
done any kind of formal program like this in about three years because the
transportation to get me back and forth just wasn't working, and originally
I had dropped out because I didn't see a point continuing to pay for
something I couldn't get to and use at the time.  Since then, I got married
and moved to a new area.  There's a place a few blocks away from where we
live that I think getting to and from would be feasible.  My doctor likes
the idea and I've been cleared for it.  I have a meeting set up with a place
(Curves for women) this coming Thursday, but I have to say I'm nervous about
it.  For people that have done classes or exercise at places, do you find
that the people there are jumpy about dealing with you because you are blind
and they are sure you will sue them if you get hurt on the equipment?  Last
time I went to exercise, that never happened.  How do you address this
issue?  Are there other issues you have found doing exercise classes and if
so, how did you work around them?  I don't have a dog; I use a cane.  I
don't think my husband is exactly on board with the idea, but that's mostly
from a domestic standpoint because I'll be getting home probably a couple of
hours later than I usually do and that means a late dinner closer to bed
time, (around 10:00) which we both try to avoid eating too late because of
acid reflux.  He's not very enthusiastic about taking over the cooking, and
frozen dinners for the two of us 3 or 4 nights a week just isn't practical.
Is there a work around for this too?  Last time I went to exercise, I was
single and my schedule was so that I went before work, but I started work
later in the day during that time so it wasn't really an issue like it is
now.  I'm locked into a shift time now and they won't let me change it.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Julie