[Diabetes-talk] Pump Mate

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Fri Jan 13 18:43:52 UTC 2012

Oh ouch! This is not happy news! I was so hoping that blind diabetics
would have another option besides Medtronic, not that we have that
one yet. Bummer!
And yes, while it's difficult to want everything now and at the same
time want safe devices, it could be handled much better than it is. I
am certainly not hearing about Europeans dropping dead on a regular
basis because they can get products out sooner than we can. And there
are things circulating around now about Animas getting in trouble
with the FDA over pump problems. However, in probing to find the
details, it turns out that the problem is paper work. These companies
have to report any incident that happens with their pumps due to user
error. So anytime, say, someone ends up in the hospital because of a
low or high, the pump company has to document the incident, which
means someone has to report it. Surely we can find a better way to
keep track of what happens than this. I couldn't believe the
documents these companies have to provide on an on-going basis. I'd
be willing to bet that there aren't anywhere near enough staff to
read them all. There's definitely a place for some caution, but not
paralysis! Sheesh!
Okay, off to pout now!

Veronica
We Woof You A Merry Christmas! Diabetes Melodious! And more!
Music CDs that will impact and entertain you forever!
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
877-607-6407