[Diabetes-talk] Excellent Article

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jun 16 14:17:24 UTC 2012

Diabetics are often bombarded with advice on what's the "best" diet for them
(as if diabetes is just one disease). The American diabetes Association
tells us not to eliminate carbs from our diet (ignoring the fact that the
Inuit did and are doing quite well, thank you, without much carbohydrate in
the diet). The Atkins people hit us with just the opposite advice but arouse
suspicion in some because of their association with certain types of
alternative medical therapies.

It seems as though the advice is driven as much by the current
politically-correct, medical and scientific fads as it is by solid research
(which is damnably difficult to do when dealing with diets and nutrition).
And seldom is the *real* science behind all these assertions carefully and
rigorously examined. It's high time this changed. It's why I had a different
sourt of dietitian at last year's DAN Seminar and why I often come across as
a terminal skeptic.

Check out the blog post at the link shown below and get what seems to be
more the straight scoop on all this. Many of our most cherished and
unquestioned assumptions turn out to have little scientific basis.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/05/whats-wrong-with-the-dietary-advice-diabe
tes-uk-dishes-out-to-diabetics/

Mike Freeman