[Diabetes-talk] DAN Seminar in Dallas

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jun 24 20:07:38 UTC 2012

Chanelle:

First, although I have no objection to some sort of on-line petition about
the Pump-mate, it is my view that such efforts are worth just about as much
paper as they take -- nothing. Why do I believe this? Because it's
impossible to verify signatures on an on-line petition. So en enterprising
individual or group of individuals could write such a petition and then
spoof a bazillion different email addresses and sign as each one. So I
consider such efforts wasted bandwidth. I realize, however, that there are
plenty of folks who disagree with me.

Second, I may not be the right person to discuss the Technology Bill of
Rights or the paired-down version we pushed this year -- the home Appliances
Accessibility Act (HAAA) which specifically covers home medical devices. I
think Lauren McClarney of NFB staff is handling this issue. However, it is
my impression that it has not gone anywhere this year and I believe will not
as long as we have such congressional gridlock. But I truly believe this
bill or one like it will be the only truly effective way to
persuade/encourage/force manufacturers to produce accessible medical
devices.

Third, although I truly believe that we need accessible diabetic care
equipment including accessible insulin pumps, I (who use insulin pens) am a
bit uncomfortable with the assertion by dedicated pumpers that the pump is
*necessary* for good diabetes control. If they'd insert "for some people"
into the preceeding sentence, I'd agree wholeheartedly. And if a person is
using an insulin pump because other methods didn't work for them (for
whatever reason), by golly, it (the pump) should be accessible.

In your case, I concur completely that it would be a good idea to get that
8% A1C down. Good luck!

To the wall, comrades!

Mike