[Diabetes-talk] Accessible insulin pumps

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:18:14 UTC 2012

Greetings. I have been on and off this list over the years. I am a
blind type 2 diabetic that lives in Austin, TX. I have been having
trouble keeping my blood sugars under control lately. So much that my
doctor has mentioned the possibility of an insulin pump. Which leads
me to ask the following: are today's insulin pumps usable by a totally
blind guy? Do they talk or provide some sort of audio feedback? I have
read references on the web to insulin pump accessibility, where most
pumps issued a series of beeps and so forth. I know nothing about the
insulin pumps, thinking that I would never need one and now it may be
a possibility. Is an insulin pump surgicly implanted in your body, or
is there a method by which you inject the needed insulin or send it
through a tube into your body? Any and all info would be appreciated.
And, for those that use iOS devices, are there pumps on the market
that would let me monitor the pump activity through my iPhone?

Thanks,
Wayne Merritt

--
Follow me on Twitter at: