[Diabetes-talk] Accessible insulin pumps

Chanelle Allen chanellem.allen at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:57:44 UTC 2012

Dear Wayne,
I wish that there was an accessible iPhone app that would allow one to
control an insulin pump and a blood glucose monitor that would also
automatically record results as well as determine the insulin dosage. Better
yet, it would be great if there was a continuous glucose monitoring system
and a pump that would act in combination like a pancreas so that I wouldn't
even need to check my blood sugar or figure out how much insulin to give.
Devices like this are being developed; unfortunately, accessibility is
lagging painfully behind. Prodigy started developing a talking insulin pump,
but that has come to a halt. Someone has developed a remote to control the
Minimed insulin pump, but I think that it is either waiting for Minimed or
the FDA to approve it. Some insulin pumps still emit audible beeps. Basic
functions such as giving a bolis, priming the pump, and setting a temporary
basal may be performed independently by someone who is totally blind
depending on the model of the insulin pump. It is not possible to determine
a Minimed insulin pump's warnings from the beeps. I would expect it to beep
after three days since the last time I changed the insulin reservoir. If I
haven't replaced the battery in a few weeks, I might assume that the beeps
are indicating a low battery. Beeps could also be indicating a delivery
failure. A bolis is the amount of insulin given to correct a high blood
sugar or for the amount of carbohydrates consumed in a meal. On my insulin
pump, I use the easy bolis feature where 1 beep indicates a certain amount
of insulin (for me, 0.1 units). After I press the up arrow on my pump so
many times, the amount is confirmed by however many beeps (10 beeps for one
unit). Memorizing the button pushing sequence to change the reservoir is not
difficult. On my pump, I am not able to change my hourly basal rate
independently since beeps cannot confirm the settings. However, setting a
temporary basal rate is possible since a beep will be emitted after
selecting the number of hours and then again after the percentage has been
set. Every pump is different as to the functions that can be performed
auditorially. Some insulin pumps may be controlled by software on the
computer, which of course, has limited accessibility.
I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask questions if anything isn't
clear.

Chanelle