[Diabetes-talk] Accessible insulin pumps.

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:55:20 UTC 2012

Linda,

Welcome.

First, Prodigy makes a fully accessible meter that allows you to
independently test, repeat if you didn't hear it, set all the settings
and peruse past glucose records. There's the Prodigy Voice, which is the
better one, and another Prodigy meter that talks as well, but I do not
find it as blind-friendly even though it's been made with blind people
in mind.

As for accessible insulin pumps... I've been on a pump for almost ten
years, and I love it. However, there's no fully accessible pump. For
years, companies have teased us with potential accessible pumps, but as
of yet, it's still a pipe-dream. At best, you use a pump with audio
features, not talking, but beep sounds, that allow you to navigate
menues. Here's how I use mine, and keep in mind that I'm totally blind:

Each time I press a button, there is a beep. This lets me know I have
indeed pressed the button. I have either memorized certain menus or I
follow written directions to access the proper menus. I simply count,
and it isn't as tedious as it sounds. My particular pump, which
unfortunately is no longer manufactured, has four buttons: left, right
and up, down. There's also a bolus button on the side of my pump which I
use for meals.

This probably doesn't make much sense in written form. Pumps are not for
everyone, and some doubt the ability to function a pump that's not fully
accessible in terms of a talking pump, but from my personal experience,
I have had the best control of glucose levels since using a pump, and
I've never had problems with the pump due to my own inability to
function it.

Things I have sighted people help with are filling the cartridges, which
can be done when blind, and some people do including myself when
necessary, I just prefer sighted help for this. I also need help setting
my basal rates, which are the rates set up throughout the day delivered
hourly, or however my doctor and I establish them. During my recent
pregnancy, I had various rates set throughout the day to accommodate for
my increasing glucose levels due to the pregnancy. Setting the basal
rates is a bit tedious without sighted help. Beyond these two functions
though, I do everything else on my own.

Two pumps I have played with that are good are the Medtronic and the
Animas. There are other pumps on the market, but since I haven't had the
opportunity to play with any of them, I can't speak to their
accessibility or general functioning.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. I've been up with a spitty baby for a
few hours now and not quite awake, grin! There are others on the list
who may be able to better answer your question.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan