[Diabetes-talk] ideas for non refrigerated snacks

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 06:02:01 UTC 2012

Fruit 2 O has sugar and isn't 100% juice but just a juice beverage.

Adding a lemon or lime slice to water can add some extra fresh taste to
it as well.

Glucerna makes meal and snack bars specific for diabetics. They do
contain carbs but you can use them to replace your existing meals and/or
snacks. The snack bars usually are no more than 15 carbs, which is one
carb choice.

Dole has packaged fruit that is all natural so it's only in its natural
occuring syrup. Half a cup of this is a serving.

JELL-O and Hunts does make pudding packs that are sugar-free but tey
still contain about 5 calories and are about 1 carb choice. Gelatin is
usually a "free" food if sugar-free and sticking to a serving size.
JELL-O and Hunts both make pre-packed gelatin.

Fresh fruit does have natural sugar that will break down in the system
and require insulin, but it's far better than most snack foods like
granola bars or canned fruit. Be careful because most canned foods
including fruit and veggies are high in sodium.

Another snack option is fresh veggies which are considered free foods
for diabetics.

I haven't followed this entire thread, but if bolusing when eating
carbs, it shouldn't matter too much about carb content since you will
just balance food with insulin. Of course if following a pre-set amount
of insulin routine, you will need to follow a more particular diet and
stick to whatever carb amount is allotted for meals and snacks.

Sincerely,
Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter
Read my blog at:

The Expected One- Kathleen McGowan