[Diabetes-talk] Pump updates.

Veronica Elsea veronica at laurelcreekmusic.com
Mon Apr 22 02:41:53 UTC 2013

Bridgit, this is one of the things I keep trying to explain to these
companies. I'm sure there are just so many people out there like your
brother. And just think if speech were a built-in option in medical devices,
he could at least use it when no one else was around to see him do so. This
whole business of oh, now you are blind so you have to buy special equipment
is a tough place for many people to start. I did a survey back in the
nineties when the great promise was for non-invasive blood glucose testing.
The point was to find good reasons why sighted people would use speech in
such a meter. They were quite creative, this bunch of diabetics. But I was
really surprised to find examples of young people with talking meters who
excitedly showed them to a grand parent. Grand parent tried out the meter at
the request of the kid and got quite a shock. I found educators who told me
that when many people are really high or low, the speech helped them
understand what was going on. But I believe it's when they start figuring
out how to incorporate BG testing into driving that they'll finally start
adding speech. And that's what I was stressing in the nineties, the ability
to just press a finger on a surface and hear a result without taking eyes
off the road.
And yes, I too will hold my tongue about some of the politics today because
it just makes me crazy. But regardless of the climate, I can't give up. When
I look at things that were overcome in the past, many came with great
sacrifice and hardship. I just can't do nothing. It matters too much.
Veronica

Watch the video as The Guide Dog Glee Club sings "Rehab!" Yes! Yes! Yes!
http://youtu.be/JvakJ5lk6Us
Then find more music from Veronica Elsea and The Guide Dog Glee Club at:
http://www.laurelcreekmusic.com
Phone: 831-429-6407