[Diabetes-talk] FW: Medicare and Solus V2

Bill Lewis wlewis19 at cox.net
Sun Aug 18 17:20:42 UTC 2013

A friend sent this to me today and I thought you folks would be interested,
as am I. -- Bill Lewis

Subject: accessible prescriptions

http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?FolderID=1&SectionID=47&DocumentID=6078
President Obama Signs Landmark Accessible Prescription Drug Label Bill
AFB Applauds White House and Congress for Protecting the Safety of Americans
with Vision Loss

New York (July 11, 2012)On July 9, President Barack Obama signed into law
the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act, which brings us
step closer to ensuring Americans with vision loss have access to the
important information on their prescription labels. The Act includes
provisions that
establish national best practices for retail and other pharmacies to use in
providing accessible prescription drug labeling to customers with vision
loss.
This includes proper dosage, the name of the medication, accompanying
information about possible side effects, and more.

"We applaud President Obama and Congress for taking this important step,"
said Carl R. Augusto, president and CEO of the American Foundation for the
Blind
(AFB). "AFB has been working on this issue for many years and we're thrilled
that this is now a reality."

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) has long championed safe and
effective ways to address the significant public health challenge of
inaccessible
prescription drug labeling.
Past studies have shown
the dangers posed by the inability to access necessary instructions that
accompany prescription and over-the-counter medications, including illness,
emergency
room visits and the reliance upon sighted companionsor even strangers.

"The significance of this measure cannot be understated," said Mark Richert,
Director of Public Policy at the American Foundation for the Blind. "For the
more than 20 million Americans living with vision loss, being unable to read
drug container labels and package inserts is a scary reality."

The provisions in the Food and Drug Administration Safety and Innovation Act
will serve as a valuable supplement to existing requirements under the
Americans
with Disabilities Act and other federal and state laws imposing obligations
on pharmacies to ensure effective communication and barrier removal for
people
with disabilities. Whether this new legislation entails that medication
instructions and inserts be available in large print, braille, or via an
assistive
technology device remains to be seen.