[Diabetes-talk] Fwd: FDA Warning Letter Issued to ProdigyDiabetes care

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Aug 31 20:41:52 UTC 2013

Sandi:

Lauren McClarney and I are working on effective responses to issues such as
this and some of the problems with Medicare. I'm going to be brutally honest
here and I'm sure some won't like it. But I owe you and the members of DAN
nothing less.

First, there are a lot more NFB members who use e-book-readers or
potentially would use them than DAN members. This sounds awful but, as Tom
Lehrer once said, "you can't have opinions about Truth". I think most NFB
members think DAN is successfully handling all issues involving blind
diabetics and are content to have it so. Conclusion: we aren't going to get
much of a ground-swell within NFB to petition agencies to change things. I'm
sure it is so within ACBDA also.

Second, even if we could, what would we do immediately? After all, the
e-reader business is trying to influence regulations implementing a law
already on the books. Hard as this may be to imagine, there really are no
laws on the books that help us much. Oh yes; the Access Board was inquiring
about regulations dealing with *physical* access to medical equipment (can a
person in a wheelchair use a mammogram machine, for example) but there
aren't really laws on the books mandating access by the blind and visually
impaired to medical equipment such as insulin pumps, glucose meters and the
like. The closest we've come is our Technology Bil of Rights and our Home
Appliance Accessibility Act. And you know just about how far those have
gotten. I know some will accuse me of being partisan. I am not; I am talking
facts here. I submit that passage of the Technology Bill of Rights or the
Home Appliance Accessibility Act is highly unlikely in an atmosphere wherein
a substantial portion of the House of Representatives abhors mandates upon
business and may be willing to shut down the government to get rid of
Obamacare without replacing it with anything.

This leaves us, as I see it, with only perhaps two alternatives: (a) we can
advocate that all glucose meters and insulin pumps be made accessible -- a
nonstarter as I've shown above, or (b) going state-by-state and seeking
passage of legislation that (a) requires all equipment to be accessible
and/or (b) mandates that all insurance carriers pay for accessible diabetes
devices and ancillary equipment (strips, control solution, etc.). One could
interpret this, in light of the Prodigy warning, to even include putting
Braille and large-print lot numbers on boxes of strips and control solution.

Either way, we'd have much work to do. And I'm open to other suggestions
that take account of political reality. In other words, I want ideas that
don't mandate that NFB implement Heaven on earth; were this to happen, we
wouldn't need NFB! (huge grin)

Mike Freeman